As mentioned in the Terms and Conditions, the agency is exempt from being liable for different expenses that may occur in case of varying emergencies or unforeseen situations. In addition to that, a foreigner isn't allowed to purchase insurance on Nepali soil. Both facts indicate a client's requirement to buy an elaborate travel insurance plan in their place of origin that protects their interest. Be that in trip cancellation, helicopter evacuation, medical emergencies, other illnesses, lost luggage, theft, disasters, death, etc.
There is a fine line between adventure and blatant risk. What separates them is the preparation level for a particular activity. However, leaving behind the comforts of your home into the embrace of nature –an adventure and not ensuring that you are adequately insured – is a risk. Therefore, Shangrila Eco Trek requests that you purchase comprehensive insurance to cover all possibilities that may ensue during your stay in Nepal.
Points to remember regarding your Travel Insurance Plan:
- In case of accidents, or sickness, evacuation may be necessary by helicopter. The tourism agencies can make helicopter evacuation provisions but refrain from involving themselves in financial matters. And even if they do, they will seek compensation for their expenses. Therefore, the resulting costs can be back-breaking if you do not obtain an insurance plan explicitly covering helicopter rescue.
- Besides the rescue, medical treatments for accidents in high altitudes and cold temperatures are expensive. Moreover, in certain instances, a mobile medical team will have to accompany the helicopter crew to the base camps, which further increases the medical expenses. Hence, it is necessary that you are correctly insured for probable medical conditions.
- While purchasing insurance, it is wise to thoroughly explain what you're getting into and ensure that your insurance agent understands you. Your itinerary should be disclosed, and the risks involved should be openly discussed before picking an insurance plan. This allows you to understand what is agreeable to the insurance company. Besides, it also makes claiming insurance more accessible in case the above circumstances occur.
- Consultation with multiple insurance providers before finally picking an insurance policy can be helpful. However, mountaineering is challenging and never devoid of specific risks. So, it is necessary to mention 'mountaineering' or 'alpinism' while explaining to the insurance providers your needs.
- Since the deposits made by a client are not refundable because of the company's obligations, the client must also be insured against trip cancellation.
- The client must provide us with a copy of your insurance policy (or insurance certificate) so that we can take due steps during emergencies.